Many of our program themes in International Health Care and International Education are centered in and around the village of Thirumalaikodi in The Vellore District, Tamil Nadu, South India. Program venues are in Vellore City, some of the small rural villages around Thirumalaikodi, or even in the remote mountain ranges to the south and west of Thirumalaikodi.
The changes we have witnessed in and around Thirumalaikodi have been amazing over the 17 years we have been visiting.
• Children who may have once been working in the fields or in construction are now able to go to good schools and continue their education to prepare themselves for a better future. Average enrollments include from 45 to 70% first generation learners.
• Better Medical, Nutrition and Health Care Programs have helped to improve general health and reduce the incidence of disease among local villagers. Mothers and children now have much better chances of survival.
- Good quality Medical Services are now easier to reach.
• Job skills acquired through the vocational training programs have resulted family stability and an increase in businesses and family income in the area.
• Villagers now benefit from cleaner water, better sanitation, less disease and a more comfortable physical environment.
• The average temperature has dropped by about 4 degrees as the multi-year reforestation program refreshes and re-energizes the local environment.
• Student nurses are continually being trained and encouraged to practice their profession locally so that better health care can be available for everyone
- Good quality education is now within easier reach for disadvantaged local children.